Thursday 1 August 2013

Thai Tom Yum soup

I first tried Tom Yum soup whilst visiting Thailand with a friend last summer. It is a very popular and cheap traditional meal, made with king prawns/chicken and served with bread. Refreshing and light, I decided that this English heatwave was the perfect time to attempt making this soup. I always order Tom Yum in Thai restaurants but have never cooked it before! 

I used a BBC Food recipe found online (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tomyumsoup_85069) but changed it slightly because I did not have access to an Asian supermarket.  

Here is my amended recipe, to serve 4 people as a main dish. Don't worry too much about the quantities, add to taste. Depending on how much fish sauce and chilli you use it can be very spicy/ sour :

1. Add the stock and water to a large pan and bring to the boil

2. Add chopped chillis, coriander, quartered button mushrooms, quartered plum tomatoes, lime juice and lemon grass to the liquid. Simmer for 20 minutes. 
I did not include lime leaves, galangal or tamarind water in my recipe because I did not have time to source them. It didn't affect the flavour! Also, try freezing lemon grass and fresh chillis. They can be used straight out of the freezer and means you always have some in stock. 

3. Next add fish sauce and more lime juice to taste. Then add raw king prawns/ pre-cooked chunks of chicken breast into the liquid and cook for a few more minutes until the prawns turn pink and the chicken is heated through.

4. Take off the heat, then add seasoning and more coriander. 

5. Serve with bread.


I hope this post has inspired you to try and cook Tom Yum at home, but if not at least order it next time you eat at a Thai restaurant. It is perfect as a light starter all year round, or as a main meal in the summer with bread and salad. 

L xx

No comments:

Post a Comment